Dharmendra Singh (Dharam) has over two decades of experience in holistic communication functions to include strategic planning, copywriting, creative direction and operational roles in implementing agencies as well as managing design and implementation of communication campaigns and programs for various corporate and development sector organizations involved in delivering services and products to low-income consumers and underprivileged sections of society in villages and small towns of India.
He has served as Vice President – Planning & Business, heading the mass marketing division of Interactive Communication Services Pvt. Ltd. – an agency based in Delhi and involved in Below-the-line communication activities. He was Director Planning during his 7+ years’ association with Ogilvy & Mather in their Activation department where he was also responsible for developing creative for outreach communication and contributing to the knowledge management cell (Discovery). Before joining O&M, he had spent over 5 years with Maadhyam Advertising (now Publicis) as Creative Supervisor and with the Times of India Group as their Corporate Communications Executive, in Delhi.
He is currently working as Chief Technical Advisor with FHI360 for Improving Healthy Behaviors Program (IHBP) in India awarded under the United States Agency for International Development's (USAID) Health Partnership Program Agreement (HPPA) with the Government of India. It provides technical assistance to develop sustainable national, state, and district institutional capacity to design, deliver, and evaluate strategic evidence-based communication programs. Before joining FHI360 he worked with JHU.CCP as Consultant and Technical Advisor – Communication for two years.
Some of the key public health and social-development sector assignments he has worked on/for are:
- Unicef, Bihar – Co-Conducted training program for Unicef Patna, on BCC material development
- FP and Institutional Delivery (Futures Group, ITAP II) – Developed communication material, including a film, for Sambhaw Swasthya Coupon Scheme for BPL Families, in Uttarakhand & Jharkhand
- Sesame Workshop India (Sesame Street, New York) – Developed PSAs for ministries of Tourism, Bharat Nirman, Sanitation, Environmental Hygiene, Energy Conservation and Consumer Affairs using the Galli-Galli Sim-Sim characters
- Water & Sanitation Programme (UNICEF / GoI) – Devised national level district communication strategy, plan and creative for on-ground IEC and mobilization support to GoI’s Total Sanitation Campaign (TSC).
- Pulse Polio Immunization (UNICEF)
- Tsunami relief operation (UNICEF) Diarrhea Management Awareness Campaign
- HIV/AIDS awareness (PSI’s Project Lighthouse)
- BBC World Service Trust – Participated as communication consultant to arrive at workable, ideas for increasing HIV/AIDS communication impact.
- HLFPPT – Conceptualized and developed TVCs, Posters and Press Ads for Condom (Deluxe Nirodh) and OCPs (Apsara & MalaD). Also developed capacity enhancement tools for the service providers.
- Injectible Contraceptive (DMPA) for Women (Abt Asociates) – Developed TVCs, Press Ads and Posters targeted at SEC A, B, C, women in small towns, with a focus on establishing an emotional connect with the brand.
- Reproductive Health and Women empowerment (Janani)
- Family Planning & Gender Bias (Pathfinders International)
- Routine Immunization and Mother and Child Health (IPP 9, Govt. of Karnataka, INDIA).
- Goli ke Hamjoli – through DTT and USAIDS. Developed network and worked on training modules for the direct contact programs with women (three contacts) in the state of Rajasthan. Also made an AV for educating the RMPs on Contraceptive methods.
- Female Health Clinics – Working for PSS, conceptualized and executed creative for Female Health Clinics (RTI, STD & MTP) in the state of Orissa.
- Women’s self-help group (Unilever)
- Azim Premji Foundation – through Wipro. Conceptualized and designed a group identity for the foundation dedicated towards betterment of children. The identity was field tested extensively by Wipro on several parameters before finally getting approved.
- Safe Motherhood Advocacy creative (Through The White Ribbon Alliance for safe Motherhood/ India).
- SIFPSA – Worked on Communication Strategy and creative for on-ground promotion of IUDs. Developed the brand name and logo for IUD.
Articles by Dharmendra Singh
- Sex-selective abortions in India, October 2015
- Case of the missing girl child in India: The tragedy of communicating social development as economic advancement rather than cultural transformation,
- What I say and what you see? A tragedy of errors (mis-reading) in public communication from Mauritius to Monrovia, October 2014
- Just (Make Me) Do it, October 2013
- Playing Hot Potato (Pass the Parcel) with Mother Nature, July 2013